Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Comrades

Wednesday 7/8
Distance: 9 miles
Time: 64:02

Tuesday 7/7
Distance: 9 miles
Time: 64:09

Monday 7/6
Distance: 8 miles
Time: 58:50

Solid start to the week. Right Achilles noticeably sore on Monday and Tuesday, but quite a bit better on Wednesday.

On Monday and Tuesday nights, I dog sat for a coworker. She has two enormous dogs, one mixed German Shepherd/something else very large, the other a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Ridgebacks were bred in southern Africa and apparently back in the day they used them to hunt lions. I wanted to take the ridgeback on a run with me one of the mornings, but she was not particularly pleased at being woken up before sunrise and wasn't having it. I guess I'm on my own for lion hunting for the time being.

I had a humbling running-related experience this weekend when I was over at my coworker Melanie's home for a pre-Fourth of July BBQ. We were talking about how I've been trying to run around here and where I go. Mel's husband started talking about how their neighbor has run something like 25 Comrades Marathons. The Comrades Marathon is a 55+ mile race held every year in South Africa that runs between Durban and Pietermaritzburg, one way. Every year, the direction it is run switches. The race is notoriously hilly and difficult, and people from all over the world come here to run it. I'd love to complete this race just once. To have run 25 of these races is legit. Way beyond legit. I was told that this same neighbor gets up at 4:30 every morning and will come back around 8:30 or 9am. 4-4 1/2 hours of running. Every day. No shit. Here's to the die hard. The truly die hard.

2 comments:

  1. I really wish I followed this blog earlier, I have to read like 8 post in one quick scoop....can you by chance tell me the ones worth reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha just saw your post...I don't know which ones are worth reading-I didn't even know people were really reading it. There's a solid story in the post about the Drakensberg mountains early on in the first few posts.

    ReplyDelete