Wednesday 6/24:
Distance: 8- miles
Time: 56:01
Tuesday 6/23:
Distance: 8 miles
Time: 58:00
Monday 6/22:
Distance: 0 miles
Sunday 6/21:
Distance: 0 miles
Back in Durban after what turned out to be a great weekend in the Berg. After the slight mishap on my Saturday afternoon run, the rest of the weekend turned out pretty nice. On Sunday morning I got up early to join a group including Robyn, Ivy, Robyn's boyfriend Peet, her dad and brother, and some other friends to do a serious hike up into the Berg. After a 2+ hour drive and a 4 hour hike including an ascent up a 100 rung steel ladder, we were at the top of the second highest waterfall in the world (Tugela Falls). The views were awesome, if more than a little unnerving standing on the edge of cliffs close to 1km above the ground below. Unfortunately I don't have a camera, but Ivy does (and a blog!) that shows some of the better images from the trip: www.dreamingindurban.com
After a full day of hiking, some incredible sandwiches courtesy of Mrs. Cox, and plenty of naartjies, we wound down with some quality pizza from a nearby restaurant (banana and bacon?) and drove back to Durban.
Monday morning I was back in the city of asphalt hills but decided to take a day off, since the lack of sleep on Saturday night, 15k hike, and 9 hours of car riding on Sunday were not particularly rejuvenating.
On Tuesday, I hit the roads of Durban again and stumbled upon the sports fields for the University of KwaZulu-Natal about 2 1/2 miles away. Great open expanses of grass, including the first grass track I've ever seen. It's a great spot to get away from the hills, asphalt, and already crowded roads at 6am.
Today I was back in the asphalt hills exploring. It's amazing to me how early many people get up around here. As soon as I left my door just before 6am, I ran into 2 men walking to work along the pitch black streets. I wonder what time they left this morning. About 20 minutes into my run I passed by something called the "Durban Children's Homes," a big fenced complex that I assumed was an orphanage (although according to the website it's more of a child care program). Several children were leaning up against the fence and silently looking out, even at this early hour. I wonder if their parents are among the masses walking to work in the pre-dawn bustle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment